A Registered, Canadian business or not-for-profit;
Willing to provide a quality work-integrated learning experience to a Post Secondary student;
Committed to paying the student for the role, and have the financial capacity to pay the student for the duration of the placement in full (the wage subsidy will be administered after receiving all supporting documentation, at the end of the placement);
Compliant with all federal and provincial human rights and labour legislation, regulations, and any other relevant standards including the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Employment Standards Act;
Where legally required, responsible for Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) or alternate workplace insurance coverage;
Ineligible Employers include (but are not limited to):
Federal, Provincial, Territorial and Municipal Government
Hospitals and public long-term care facilities
Post-Secondary Institutions (PSIs)
Please note that this list may not be comprehensive, placement eligibility is determined through the application process.
*secular WIL opportunities in Non-secular institutions maybe eligible, please reach out to email@example.com for clarification.
Students must be:
Registered as a domestic student in a recognized post-secondary institution
Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or persons to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
Legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations. International students are not eligible
Undertaking a placement that is recognized as work-integrated learning in connection with a course, degree, certificate, diploma, or other recognized program offered by the institution. The placement can be required or optional, for credit or not for credit.
In a full or part-time program from any program of study
Eligible Placements must:
Meet requirements of a Net NEW placement as defined by Employment and Social Development Canada (“ESDC”).
Be a full-time or part-time position,
Sub contracts/ contractor positions are not eligible
Partial provincial, territorial and municipal funds are permitted to be combined with Student Work Placement Program (SWPP), but only funds from non-governmental sources are eligible for subsidy. For example, a position paid with 60% provincial grant funding is only eligible for a subsidy calculated on the remaining 40% of the funds paid by the employer.
Employers are responsible for following provincial tax credit guidelines where stacking with provincial tax credits will occur (employer’s are encouraged to consult their tax professional).
Combination with federal funding programs is not eligible. This may include, but is not limited to, an award/grant from other federal funding programs, Canada Summer Jobs, Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS), Student Work Placement Program administered through another delivery partner (full list available here), etc.